The role of middle managers aims to strengthen aspiring leaders with the eventual intent to launch them towards a dynamic role in senior management. To reinforce their abilities for destination success, this role should present new opportunities focused on educating while in a lower risk position. Unfortunately as the name implies, a middle stance-above groups of people in the workplace and below senior level management-amplifies the risk of burn out with a greater volume of work and decision making. A role intended for eager managers to exhibit their abilities, excessive expectations and underappreciation instead spoil the position-and they are more miserable than ever.
In fact, in combination with a pandemic-led shift to remote work, research shows that they are the unhappiest employees in US organizations.
And quite honestly, this doesn’t have to be the case.
What is Middle Management?
A middle manager is a leader in an organization whose job responsibilities fall between senior and associate level management. Middle managers serve as the link between the team and executive manager(s). While providing valuable insights into the organization’s workflow from the top level down.
How it differs from senior management
A middle manager’s roles and responsibilities include leading an associate team and their line managers and supervisors, supervising workflow and assignments for your team, completing your workload and reporting back to executive management.
A few common roles
Ensures that lower management levels are working with the requirements of the organization by administering routine work and monitoring performances regularly.
Creating a friendly environment for the team to work in
Devising strategies to improve employee performance to benefit the organization as a whole
Effectively support the lower level team while addressing any potential conflict
Employment decisions of the lower level and any necessary training
A highly centric position, the middle manager role receives widespread criticism, and, if you choose to implement these roles, concerns as followed must be addressed:
Working in direct contact with both the higher and lower levels in the company, where they can potentially influence decisions both positively and negatively.
They have direct access to important information
It is easy for them to promote self-interest and exploit their position.
Can often show resistance to change-creating a growth barrier in the entire organization.
As the world is moving towards further technological advances, the role of middle managers is considered unnecessary. Companies have started reconstruction by introducing the latest technologies for better efficiency and productivity.
However, criticism doesn’t mean you should remove and avoid middle management forever. See our list of middle management Do’s and Don’ts to create a harmonious working environment to continuously meet business objectives…
Understanding Job Responsibilities:
- Ensure they understand the responsibilities involved in the role
- Thoroughly outline these responsibilities as part of a job description document
- Periodically check in to listen to any question pertaining to the role
- Negligently pass off miscellaneous tasks
- Overburden them with administrative tasks
- Build authentic relationships with your middle managers
- Ensure that they understand your workloads and your specific goals
- Continuously support them
- Periodically ask for a list of quarter reports to visualize activities
- Take advantage by overloading them with work you prefer to not do
- Strictly treat your relationship as a subordinate to superior
- Assume they know how to do anything you hand over to them
- Encourage an informal system where they can feel motivated by constructive feedback on certain methods
- Tactfully open the channels down to your associate team
- Ask how you can lead them towards success
- Disregard too many methods-especially at once
- Carelessly communicate your feedback
- Provide formal training where they can sharpen and practice their skills
- Provide a foundation for middle managers to continue advancing in the organization
- Expect them to look for all education outside the company (it’s a team effort)
If you decide to authorize middle management within your business, you can effectively establish a fulfilling role through proper groundwork and open lines of communication. If, however, you choose to approach this function with disregard, feelings of frustration and/or outrage can disrupt the middle component-leaving the rest of your organization to crumble.
The importance of a strong management force of all areas can strengthen the business and its operations entirely. Emphasizing the importance of effective management further highlights why you should assess the quality of your management team. Whether the rest of your organization has grown to detest the character of a current manager, or a pattern of consistent mistakes prompts you to seek out alternative training, our team at MCDA CCG, INC. -headquartered in Placentia, Orange County, California-can help.
Our list of management services cover a broad range of functions to ensure your business is equipped to succeed in the modern world. Contact us today and see how we can help you!